Jun 20, 2008

Life Goals

My last post had me thinking quite a bit about the direction in which my life is going and about some things I am seeking to accomplish near-term, medium-term, and long-term. To give a bit of context, I was always the ambitious planner...

As a child, I began using the family's IBM PC Jr. that my parents were fortunate to win at a Chinese Auction in 1984 or 1985. At the young age of 6 or 7, I began programming code in Basic, using the commands given in "Compute", a magazine my father started receiving at home (one of the benefits of being a doctor/dentist's child - free magazines). From this, I became addicted to early baseball games for the PC, including Earl Weaver Baseball 1.0, 1.5, and finally 2.0. Yes, this sounds totally like loser-talk (and it might be), but I used to run baseball leagues with my friends at school, printing off hundreds of pages of stats on our home dot-matrix printer (was super loud - my parents did not love it) and then running a virtual "fantasy baseball" league, in which the games were simulated on my PC. Yes, it was rudimentary, but I was always the leader, the organizer, the one thinking these ideas through. My interest in these games led to a full on obsession in middle-school, when Dynamix (became part of Sierra Online) came out with Front Page Sports Football, a game with an incredible simulation model, that was super addictive. Using this as a model, I wrote a letter when in camp one year (probably 1993 or so), suggesting they add the backend tools of FPSF to their already growing franchise football game, John Madden Football. The letter was written on camp stationary in my poor handwriting, but for some reason I did get a call from Electronic Arts later that fall to talk about my ideas (many of whom have been implemented in the series over time). Yeah, i've always been ambitious...

Regardless, here are some of my key goals:

Short Term (through the end of August)
  1. Language Skills: Part I - I need to get my hebrew skills in order, so that I can successfully survive in Israel. I'm sure that will not be too difficult, since I used to be quite good with the language, but I need to focus on it for a few hours a day when i'm back in New York.
  2. Language Skills: Part II - I desparately want to continue learning Mandarin Chinese, which I began while at INSEAD. This is a language that can be truly beneficial to me as I develop my career over the next few years. I have gotten over the initial hump of Chinese and feel that I can get to a point of Business Level if I keep up the learning for the next 6-12 months.
  3. Weight Management - Yeah, this is a dumb one, but its finally time... I've toyed with all kinds of programs in the past, but I finally kicked it to the curb 2 months ago and started working out nearly every day of the week and trying to eat right. I know this is a long process, but I have already made a major lifestyle adjustment and I am focused on keeping it up.
Medium Term (through the end of 2008)
  1. Learn the Venture Capital Business - I've spent a good amount of time at INSEAD picking up skills that should theoretically give me a good chance at success in VC. I know though that i'll need to spend a ridiculous amount of time understanding how the business works, how best to assess new ventures, and how to help entrepreneurs succeed. It will be fascinating and quite fun, but I know the challenge will be heavy.
  2. Become an Israeli - As much as I can, that is. I need to find a place to live, a community to be a part of, and a life of my own in this new country of mine. I know all the opportunities are there, and I know i'll have family and friends there to rely on, but it will be very important for me to get my own life in order over there. Social life is even more critical than personal space.
Long Term (through the end of 2012)
  1. Schedule Trips Around the World - As mentioned in my previous post, I am eager to further see the world, particularly: Rural China, Russia, Mongolia (Trans-Siberian Railway), Ethiopia, South Africa, Syria, Lebanon, Portugal, Ireland, Argentina, Peru, Chile, and Mexico. It's important to me that I continue this journey around the world, and that it not be postponed or put off for too long...
  2. Become Fluent in Mandarin and Business Level in Arabic Language - These are important to me, because I belive the two languages will be critical in my future success anywhere I am. Without question, these two languages are likely to grow in usage globally, not diminish, in the next 25 years
  3. Find My Partner - Yeah, we've hit the epicenter of trite comments. OK, so I obviously have no idea when/where or how I will meet this person, but I do hope it will happen within the next 5 years (or at least before all my hair falls out). Mom and Dad - i'm working on it every day, but it cannot be forced, it has to happen organically...
OK, I should write more here, but its 2am and i'm exhausted. Let's just say its a work in progress... Let me know what you think (especially if I'm missing critical things)

1 comment:

Yali said...

One caveat:
When man plans, God laughs.
Don't be too much of a stickler, sometimes things don't happen the way you plan them...